Monster Knit Rally

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Spinning

Last night some of the women in my knitting group got together for a spinning night. It was so neat. I own and have used a drop spindle (which hangs in the air as you spin it), but I also got to try spinning on a Navajo spindle (which rests on the floor as you spin it against your leg) and a spinning wheel. They all take some getting used to, but I really liked the Navajo spindle and the woman who brought it kindly lent me one (she has a few) for a couple of weeks (pictured to the right). I am excited to use it more! My goal is to spin up as much of my stash of not-so-nice fiber as possible before the Rhinebeck Sheep & Wool Festival. Then I can get some really nice fiber there.

A few spinning related links I've been enjoying:
If You Would Love to Spin a Dream - spinning blog
RowanTree Woolery - lovely roving for sale
Misshawklet - beautiful handspun yarn and fiber
Cosymakes Flickr Spinning Stuff set - and her other photo sets as well

P.S. I just made the patchwork pillow in the photo this weekend.

2 Comments:

  • Looking forward to the Sheep and Wool Festival even if we don't go to any workshops.
    A knitter I know just went to a similar but notably smaller gathering (in PA.) and was pleasantly overwhelmed by the choices...and a number of the vendors said that they will be in Rhinebeck. As did a woodworker who makes spinning wheels and drop spindles whose booth I saw at Colorscape in Norwich. There will be a lot of stuff to look at and some to fondle.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:14 AM  

  • Hey Rebecca

    Your mom gave me your blogs url address totally cool I love it. Drop a line my email is zrosen@yahoo.com would love to know how you are doing.

    Best and love,
    zach, nicky, bella and lisa (coming back to ny from san diego in november!)

    By Blogger zachslist, at 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home