Monster Knit Rally

Friday, August 11, 2006

A new/old crafty hobby

Another thing that I brought back from my visit to my parents:
A drop spindle! Most of the yarn on the spindle was spun many years ago (by me)... but I have added a little to it since I brought it back. I'm doing it completely from memory, and I think my technique is slightly off (sometimes the loop of yarn holding up the spindle flies off and the spindle completely falls over), but I guess I'll figure it out through trial and error. I was also informed by someone in my knitting group that the roving I have is rather crappy and not the easiest to work with. At least it's a start.

I'm also making plans to go to the Sheep & Wool Festival in Rhinebeck, NY with my mom, which I am super excited about! Maybe I'll check out spinning wheels there and forget about that silly spindle. (Just kidding spindle, please don't take that the wrong way and decide to not cooperate with me even more. I love you spindle. Truly. Just please be nice.)

Also while I was in NY, my mom and I visited a couple of yarn stores, and she treated me to the lovely yarn above. It's hard to see what's going on in the photo, but I am making a scribble lace scarf/shawl loosely based on a pattern in Mason Dixon Knitting. (I say loosely because I looked at the book in the store, saw a photo, and glanced at the pattern briefly. Most of it has been trial and error.) Scribble lace consists of a very fine yarn knit on very large needles with occasional rows of a somewhat thicker yarn spaced throughout. The thicker yarn stands out from the thinner yarn, and you see the scribbly, zig-zag line that it makes. (You should just be able to make this out if you click on the photo above.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home