Monster Knit Rally

Friday, November 24, 2006

Japanese Craft Books: Post 2

As promised, here is another of the Japanese craft books I recently acquired. The Japanese bookstore had the infamous (in the blog world) Machine Made Patchworks 1 & 2, but after leafing through several options, I went with this book instead:
Suzuko Koseki's Patchwork Quilts: Tradition, Textile, Machine a Coudre, ISBN 4-529-04182-4. I had no idea when I bought it, but when looking it up online, I discovered it has the same author as the Machine Made Patchworks books.

These bags are very cute. The circle shapes are very typical of the crafts I've seen inspired by Japanese craft books. Even though I've seen a lot of circles (this pouch, these totes, these tags, this bag), it doesn't make me like them any less. However, it did make me more excited to see something quite unexpected:
I really love tree and leaf shapes in crafts, so when I saw these, I couldn't resist this book. I don't think my sewing skills are up to this level of applique, but I can drool. Perhaps I'll try to knit something with a leaf shape soon... I've seen some cute knitted leaf earrings.
Here are the botanical shapes done on a larger scale. It's almost too much, but I still adore it and would love to have something like this in my home!

I don't sew much, and most of what I sew is very basic, so I don't think I'll be doing many of the projects in this book, but I hope to work up to them eventually.

2 Comments:

  • Welcome home! Those new Japanese craft books look stunning, I really like the leaf appliques too. Now I'm wondering why I didn't go to Kinokuniya when I was in NYC a little while back....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 PM  

  • I love Japanese crafts but of course, I don't know how to read the instructions *sigh*. I seriously need to sit down with my friend who is fluent and figure out a few of the instructions. And they can be found in NYC? It's on now!
    Hint #2: I'm orignially from NYC ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home