Monster Knit Rally

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Printmaking Books

I've been too embarassed to post because my so-called Olympic sweater is still not finished. The knitting was all done by the end of the Olympics, but I've just been dragging on the finishing. I'm not dwelling on it though - I've made two (and am about halfway through a third) chemo caps to donate to the American Cancer Society. The whole thing was organized by the fabulous folks at Unravel, my LYS, and they donated all the yarn.

I've been really interested in learning more about different kinds of printmaking lately. Here are a few books I got out of the library on the subject. My favorite, the one open in this photo, is The Graphic Work of Leonard Baskin. Also pictured is Picasso Linocuts, Pre-Hispanic Mexican Stamp Designs, and Curious Woodcuts of Fanciful and Real Beasts. I've said it before and I will most definitely say it again: I love libraries!

Here's a closer-up of one of the pages. That is a rather odd looking dog laying in the grass at the bottom of the page.



















And this is a page I liked from Curious Woodcuts of Fanciful and Real Beasts. The first time I tried to check this book out of the library, I couldn't because it wasn't in their system (How did it get there? I imagine someone sneaking it into the library and sticking it on the shelf when no one was looking.), and they said to try next time. So there was a bit of build up before I actually got to take it home, but it definitely lived up to my expectations. And such a matter-of-fact but intriguing title too.



1 Comments:

  • I'm with you on the sewing/finishing thing. It's my least favorite part of knitting.

    I'm really into linocuts now too. You found some great references at the library, I'll have to borrow that Baskin one when you're done with it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home